Monday, January 11, 2010

The story...




...is more of a huge life experiment that may end badly or it may simply fizzle, but the question I'm going to attempt to answer is: Can an ordinary human being change their life radically by living as though it were already changed. All the great sages, not to mention Glinda the good witch, teach that wanting something is a result of not seeing you already have it. I do not see the life I want and after having realized a few months ago that I really am going to die at some point, I've decided to do something about it. Living, not dying. I don't expect death to come from a terminal disease, unless you count aging as an illness. It is pretty sick if you ask me, but that's another philiosphical discussion. The point is, I'm NOT dead and unless I want to get that way with my only thought being, "That was rather disappointing." I'd better do something. My plan is to see if I can alter my reality by the time I reach a milestone birthday, several years away.



Honesty or humility or good vision require me to admit that while I'm not terrifically fulfilled and my life is a spam sandwich with mayo on white bread, no crust, cut into neat little rectangles served with a juice box and a moist towelette, I'm very lucky.


I do have plenty materially, because it's morally irresponsible to whine about not being able to shop at Nordstroms when there are people dying because they cannot get enough food to feed themselves. Nor can I complain about where I live. I have a roof over my head and have never been forced to write a prayer on a piece of cardboard paper hoping someone I don't know will be moved to answer it. I have a loving family, an enviable marriage, caring friends and THE dog. So why change anything and what would I change if I did?









No comments:

Post a Comment