Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Fearless Sistahood

My sister is so much younger than me that there was a time when people would ask if she was my child, so, of course, I'm old enough to look like her children's grandmother.  We are at very different stages in our lives. My children have all left to begin lives without me.(Hah-lur-lear-yer ) Hers need her every single day for thousands of things and yet, we're stilling doing the same dance with ourselves, cramming as much heaven as we can into our daily lives while keeping the people we love close to and nurtured by us. “Dancing with the Stars” has NOTHING on normal women going through their daily lives to the music of their own joy.Camera032210 365

I'm reading Rumi right now and he actually uses the metaphor of music, or more specifically, a flute in talking about how we can best live our lives, where we, in this corporeal bag of bits, are the flute and the air that moves through us to create Music is God. Rumi was a Sufi mystic and I'm not religious, but I don't believe I made myself and I do feel guided in my life towards love and away from all the misery fear has brought me, thus the blog. My sister on the other hand is devoutly Christian, a model mother, a loving wife, delightfully silly and afraid much more than she wants to be, but there are thousands, billions of women just like us at their core, trying to make better lives for their children and grandchildren.

Ultimately fear is responsible for every shortage, failure, disagreement, attack and tear ever shed. This is my observation and I have yet to be convinced otherwise. (I'm willing to discuss btw ) And what this exercise is about if nothing else is to demonstrate that fear is the enemy. Not the guy in the expensive suit walking up Wall Street getting into a limo, not the beautiful woman hidden behind a black swath of “burqac” anonymity or the man who "made" her wear it. The enemy isn't malaria, wrinkles or trans fats. Nor are carbs, CO2, Islam, the morally bankrupt West, your abusive parents or your ex. The enemy is fear and I don’t believe in it any more. If it’s true that what an individual thinks alters the physical universe and according to Heisenberg, if not Buddha, that’s more factually than philosophically true, then what the world thinks, the world becomes. Not original, just observed and I’m making it a goal to do one thing a day that is based in love for something or someone but scares the hell out of me just to prove the powerlessness of fear when it’s met with love. Then again, that’s a lot of personal growth, so maybe I’ll start with just once every seven days, though this made me very nervous and I’m counting it because these are the girls that inspire me. Every day.Camera032210 394liz Camera032210 013For all my girls and any who wish to live their lives bravely in love against fear: (photo’s welcome)

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing. I'd love to read an example of something that scares you. When we were younger, I always thought of you as fearless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, In that top photo I first saw your sister. Their faces are so similar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are moments when the brevity and preciousness of life itself scares me...but one of my favorite quotes is something Joan of Arc said, "I'm not afraid. I was born for this." I figure if she could say that about saving her people, I can say it about getting on a plane, saying I'm sorry, looking foolish, laughing too loudly, crying at silly movies, risking displeasure from others, and "letting" my daughter move away to go to school..

    ReplyDelete